05 June 2012

When I couldn't see a darn thing


this is what mama & austie b do when it's storming outside


About This Photo
Aperture: f/1.8
Exposure: 1/40
Focal Length: 50mm
ISO: 400
Lens: 50mm f/1.4

I am in love with this photo -- and when I took it, I wasn't looking through the lens at all. I was stretching out my arms in front of me as far as they would go, pointing them at Austen and I. Of course, I had a general idea what would be in the frame, but I had no idea what the focus points would be landing on, and I had little idea what the composition would look like.

Not every one was a keeper -- not even close. But this one? This one is perfect. It's luminous. I'm in love with the colors, the expression on her face, the shape of her mouth -- this one little moment in time.

And it reminds me that sometimes the best things come when we surrender what little control we possess and just wait to see what happens.

* * *

Lessons Learned or Affirmed:

  • Experiment! Play around. This photo might not have happened at all had not an incredibly stormy day forced us to stay inside all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment