13 May 2012

my loves (minus one) on mother's day

father & daughter

About This Photo: 
Aperture: f/3.5
Exposure: 1/200
Focal Length: 50mm
ISO: 100
Lens: 50mm f/1.4


My first mother's day happened the same week we found out while he was still in utero that our son had a serious heart defect that would later prove to be fatal.

When my second mother's day rolled around, Ewan was gone and we were still grieving. But that very same week, we learned we were expecting Ewan's little sister.

This was my third mother's day, but the first one where there was actually a child to hold.

I won't ever claim that I don't miss the days where I could sleep until I wanted to, or that I don't become frustrated when I find myself slipping into baby talk when I finally do get the chance to engage in some adult conversation.

But look at her. 

She's so terribly worth all of it. And, as I often remind myself, one of the best reasons I find for being a parent is that someone did it for me: giving up sleep, cleanliness, bodily autonomy, hallways clear of decorative crayon drawings, and so much more. And I don't think it's too bold a thing to say that my life is, has been, and will be worth something.

Lots of love to all the mothers out there.


* * *

Lessons Learned or Affirmed:

  • When reviewing my shots for post-processing, it's the case about 99% of the time that I have a very clear idea of how the shot should be processed. This one, I wasn't so sure. I did it in color first, and then did the black and white version. They both work for different reasons, I think. Take a look at the color version of the shot. What do you think?
  • I love using negative space to create a different look and feel for the shot. For this one, the subject(s) of the photo take up roughly 1/3 of the frame to the far right. It's a little unexpected, and creates a different look/feel for the shot that I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment