29 May 2012

Morning Rain

morning rain


About This Photo
Aperture: f/2.5
Exposure: 1/60
Focal Length: 50mm
ISO: 100
Lens: 50mm f/1.4


Have you noticed how in love with this lens I am? Just about everything happens with the 50mm f/1.4. Though a macro lens is better for this kind of photography (if you really, really want to get the finer details of things), the 50mm does a decent job of capturing details -- one of my favorite things to photograph.

I am admittedly a sucker for blossoms, for raindrops, and for that dreamy, creamy bokeh in the background. The only reason you haven't gotten more photos like this one is that I've got an adorable 4-month-old who steals the show.

This one seems pretty basic to me, so I don't know what else can be said. I set my focal points on the blossoms and went for it. I will add that since the shots where the lighting was set at the midpoint of the histogram looked overexposed to me, I did bump up the shutter speed so that they showed a bit on the darker side of the histogram. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut.

* * *

Lessons Learned or Affirmed:

  • You can have too much of a good thing -- even bokeh. Now you know I love me some good bokeh, but for this one I put the aperture down to 2.5 so that I would still get some good bokeh, but would have a wider bit of the picture in focus. Since there were multiple blooms at play, I wanted at least a couple to be crisp and clear.
  • Post-processing really can really make a photo pop. Before I processed this one, the green was dull and boring. I love how vibrant it looks here.
Before post-processing

No comments:

Post a Comment