17 May 2012

Just a slice

with honorary auntie christianne

About This Photo:
Aperture: f/1.4
Exposure: 1/30
Focal Length: 50mm
ISO: 400
Lens: 50mm f/1.4


My dear friend Christianne is Austen's honorary auntie (and birthday twin!). The days she comes to visit (like today) are always particularly special for us. They simply adore one another!

I love this photo. Like others I've shared, it puts the viewer's focus on human subjects not on faces, but on limbs. There's a tender and very relational moment being shared here, but it's not to do with faces and eyes.

This is about a baby girl who loves being held, and the arms that love holding her. It's simple, but so powerful. It is love.

* * *

Lessons Learned or Affirmed:

  • Sometimes I forget all about the crop tool when I'm processing. I try to frame my shots when I take them such that I won't need to crop, but today I was really reminded that cropping can be your best friend. The shot didn't feel right SOOC -- there seemed to be too much around the periphery and it was distracting. Cropping the image really helped me focus in on the subject of the photo in order to make sure there wasn't anything unnecessary or distracting in the shot. If I can put it this way, having the picture this way just feels better.
  • I love being able to capture tender moments like this in unconventional ways. Photography continues to pull me toward aspects of moments like this one that might otherwise be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment