19 May 2012

Indecision!

the many faces of austen

About This Photo:Aperture: f/2.0
Exposure: 1/40
Focal Length: 50mm
ISO: 800
Lens: 50mm f/1.4

This is rarely a problem I have with my photography. Sometimes you have so many good ones, it's hard to choose just one or two. And then if you're me, you just have to make a collage.

how to choose?
So many cute baby photos! What's a photog to do?!

I knew I had a lot of good ones (and some blurry ones) when I got these shots of Austen on our bed this morning. With the varied head positions and facial expressions, I knew I'd need more than one photo to tell the story that I wanted to tell.

I processed all the photos exactly the same using a very simple script I created that sharpens, adjusts the brightness and contrast, and adds a subtle and soft pink layer blended into the photo. I love the result.

* * *

Lessons Learned or Affirmed:

  • When making a collage of photos as similar as this one, try to process the pictures as similarly as possible so the eye can focus not on the differences in how the photos are processed, but on the variations in the subject(s).
  • My subject was moving and changing a little too quickly at times for me to adjust my settings. I wish I would have used a slightly wider aperture and bumped up the shutter speed to compensate. It's harder to tell in the collage, but some of the individual photos came out blurry. Better luck next time, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment